April 22, 2011

White Cheddar and Broccoli Mac & Cheese

This is one of the images responsible for my finding-and-trying some new recipes. This particular recipe just sounded really really delicious, and really really easy. So I decided to go ahead and try it. The recipe can be found here.

Last Friday (exactly a week ago), Tyler and I decided that we wanted to try and make this delicious-looking mac & cheese. Now, if any of you know me, you know that I don't love macaroni and cheese, but about once or twice a year I decide that it "sounds good" so I'll have some. I'm usually pretty disappointed whenever I try it too. That night we went to the store and bought some groceries, we were sure to include all of the ingredients for the recipe on our trusty shopping list.

On Saturday, we woke up to rain. I was really quite disappointed because I had wanted to play some tennis that day. Tyler bought be some new tennis shoes and I was really anxious to play in them to see if they improved my game. Things started looking better as the day went on ... the rain cleared up, the sun was shining and the courts were finally dry! We went and played, and the new shoes definitely helped. Once we got home though, it was time to cook.

I'm so lucky to have a husband who is willing to help me in the kitchen and who will also eat pretty much anything I put in front of him. I knew that even if this mac & cheese didn't turn out, he would tell me it tasted good and would finish his portion (and maybe even plus some)!

So we started cooking. Tyler did such a good job with the broccoli (putting it in the microwave is a really difficult job) and with the macaroni! The part I'm really grateful for is is ability to take really good pictures, especially of me.

This is why I try to avoid exercising ... see how bright red my face is? The bad thing is, this picture doesn't even show off how red it usually gets after a good workout. Lucky me. Anyway, back to cooking. After melting the butter, whisking in the flour, milk, and cheese, it was time to combine everything!

I'll be honest, I didn't really taste anything at first. That is probably because I had a stuffy nose and couldn't smell much either. Who knows. One thing is for sure, it is a really bad idea to put Parmesan cheese on this stuff. That makes it taste like stinky feet smell. Good thing I only did that on a little bit of mine. Anyway, I know you are all anxious to see the final product, so here you go. It looks quite lovely!

We had quite a few leftovers, so for Sunday dinner we breaded some chicken with Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, and voila! A delicious, easy dinner! By the way, it tasted MUCH better with the chicken to go with it.

If any of you want the recipe, you can click here, or the link that I have at the top of the post. I think it was a success. If there are any recipes you want me to try and post about, let me know. I'm always game for a little bit of adventure!

No comments: